When you are printing a crucial document and all of a sudden your printer starts generating blank pages, it is incredibly annoying.
There are numerous causes of printers generating blank pages. In this post, we’ll look at the typical causes of blank pages being printed by printers as well as solutions to the problem.
In This Article
- 1 Why is My Printer Printing Blank Pages?
- 2 Checklist when Printer is Printing Blank Pages
- 3 What to do if my Printer is Printing Blank Pages
Why is My Printer Printing Blank Pages?
Users should verify that there is adequate ink in the ink cartridges after the printer outputs blank pages. The user must replace the ink cartridges whenever they run out of ink. Blank pages are printed by printers for a variety of purposes. Below are some of the typical explanations for Why is My Printer Printing Blank Pages.
Many reasons may explain why you are getting blank pages in printing. Here are some possible causes
Empty ink or toner cartridges: Ensure that you have enough ink or it is time for a change of cartridges in the printer. However, if they become dirty, replace or refuel them.
Clogged printhead: Printhead blockage is one of the most common problems in inkjet printers. Many printers have a cleanup mode where you can remove any potential obstructions.
Incorrect settings: Make sure your printer settings are correct and that you used the right paper size and type. Also, make sure that “Print in grayscale” or “Black and white only” options are not checked as they may result in blanks.
Driver issues: Install the latest printer’s driver on the computer. One of such cases is malfunctioning and outdated drivers.
Connectivity issues: Ensure that your printer is connected with the computer or the wire network. This can happen due to unstable or weak connections and cause pages of blankness.
Paper jams: Ensure that there is no paper jam or blockage on the path of your printer. A small piece of paper as small as this may get stuck in the printer, thus jamming it and stopping the printing process.
Faulty hardware: In some cases, the printer’s hardware may not be functioning properly. In case the above measures do not rectify the problem, you can contact the printer manufacturer for the next step or consider replacement or repair.
Checklist when Printer is Printing Blank Pages
To fix the Printer printing blank pages, users must follow the basic instructions provided.
- Verify that the printer unit is positioned on a stable, flat surface. A printer can have printing problems with even a slight tilt.
- If the ink cartridges run out, replace them. Make sure you only use original ink or toner for your printer.
- While mounting fresh ink cartridges on your printer, remove the adhesive from each one.
- The ink from printers typically begins to solidify and clog nozzles. If essential, users should clean the print head.
- Confirm that the printing paper you are using complies with the printer’s needs.
- Verify the printing settings for the document’s page size, orientation, layout, and other factors.
What to do if my Printer is Printing Blank Pages
Users can use the step-by-step troubleshooting guide if the preliminary checks mentioned above are unsuccessful. Print blank pages from the printer.
Power cycle Printer Device
Restarting the equipment is the first step in troubleshooting any technological devices, including printers. Users can restart devices by using the procedure below.
- Initially, use the power button to turn off Printer devices. Watch for the printer to turn off fully.
- Then, take the printer’s power cord out of the outlet. Also, cut any additional cables that are attached. Reconnect the power cable and the other cables after waiting for no less than three minutes.
- After that, turn on the printer unit after inserting the power cable.
- Lastly, get the test page printed.
Select Skip Blank page
Users must check the document they are trying to print to make sure there are no blank pages. The print preview feature can be used by users to determine whether the document contains any blank pages. The skip blank page option is also available in the printer driver software for users to choose:
- Firstly, users of Windows 10,11 can open the Settings app by going to Start.
- After that, to access printers and scanners, select Devices.
- Tap on the printer device, then choose Manage.
- Select Skip blank page after selecting Printing Preferences.
- Similarly, Mac users can access Printers and Scanners by going to Apple Menu > System Preferences.
- Users can click on a printer using the Options & Supplies button in the Printers and Scanners window.
- Lastly, set the Skip Blank Page option to On.
Users who have recently replaced new ink cartridges must immediately align their printer unit using the instructions provided.
- Initially, click Start then select Devices and Printers.
- Click on your printer with the right mouse button, then choose Printer Preferences.
- Printer Services can be found under the Features tab.
- Users can find the Align the Printer Cartridges option under the Device Services tab of the toolbox.
- Tap the Align button after selecting the Align Printer Cartridges option.
- To calibrate the printer and align the ink cartridges, according to the on-screen directions.
In this way, users can align the Printer cartridges.
Run Windows Printer Troubleshooter
Windows has a built-in troubleshooter that detects and fixes the printer fault automatically. Customers can use the instructions below who are having problems with their printer printing blank pages to launch the Windows printer troubleshooter.
- Users of Windows 10 can access Start and open the Settings App.
- Select Troubleshoot > Additional Troubleshooters from Update and Security.
- Under Get Up and Running, select the Printer option by tapping on it.
- To begin with the process, tap on Run the Troubleshooter.
- After using the troubleshooter, print the test page.
Update Printer Driver Software
Incompatible printer drivers might cause blank page printing issues. In order to experience error-free printing, users should routinely update printer drivers. The steps to manually update printer drivers are listed below. Users must be online in order to update printer driver software.
- To access Device Manager, select Start.
- Expand the Print queues by tapping.
- Right-clicking on your printer will open a context menu where you can choose Update driver.
- Choose the “Automatically search for the drivers” option.
- To update drivers, adhere to the on-screen directions.
To resolve printer driver problems, users can also use third-party software like driver easy. It fixes a wide range of driver problems and regularly searches for new drivers.
Restart Printer Spooler Services
By following the instructions above, users can restart the Printer Spooler services.
- Firstly, pressing Windows + R will open the Run dialogue box.
- Then, in the text field, enter the command Services.msc.
- After that, find the printer spooler service in the Services pane.
- To stop the Printer Spooler service, double-click on it and choose the Stop option.
- To save the changes, press the Ok button.
- Open file explorer in the new window and go to C:WindowsSystem32spoolPRINTERS.
- Remove every file from the directory.
- Afterward, open the Printer Spooler Services window once more, and then click Start.
- Lastly, change the Printer Spooler Services’ startup type to automated.
We really hope that the aforementioned fixes help you fix the printer is printing blank pages issue. Please contact us if you have any other printer-related problems, such as HP Envy 4520 Prints Blank Pages or HP Office Jet 4650 Printing Blank Pages.
Users can get in touch with the customer care staff of the specific printer manufacturer’s company if the problem with the hp printer printing blank pages continues.